Monday, July 4, 2022

Mia Sherwood Landau - Converting To Judaism Again

 

What a surprise to discover my deep desire to convert to Judaism again. Yes, for the second time in this life.

Why? My first conversion in 2011 was Reform, and my second will be Orthodox. 

Turns out, quite a few people who are not Jewish by birth choose to convert to Judaism more than once. I learned this by posting questions in Facebook groups and receiving dozens of thoughtful comments from converts.

And some people who were born into a Jewish family choose to increase their level of observance by becoming Orthodox later in life. This, too, is not uncommon.

Having more than a decade of Jewish practice and Torah learning so far gives me a firm foundation for building my Orthodox lifestyle now.

One important thing I've learned to appreciate and cultivate is the reality of being a Jewish woman. My life experience and Torah study have changed the way I see myself as a Jew and especially as a woman who is Jewish,

It takes time for truth to grow and show up in our lives in a way we can see and understand. It doesn't happen overnight or even in nine months. The decision to become increasingly observant will change my outer lifestyle to reflect my inner reality as a Jewish woman now.



No comments:

Post a Comment